Thursday, August 2, 2007

Katya is WITH us !!!!

Wow, it has been a crazy two days. We traveled overnight to Donetsk (not much sleep). We went from train station to Inspector's office without showers or change of clothes and then to the orphanage. We did more paperwork (orr at least we watched Victor do paperwork while we watched). THEN KATYA showed up and came into the office and gave us both HUGS ! ! ! She is such a sweetheart ! ! ! We found out that she thought we were supposed to be there the day before, and other kids told her that maybe we died while traveling. We are told she cried all day. :o(
Her new official name is Katya Ann (without and "e") Schmitt. In the Ukrainian adoption process way of doing business, we had to decide in 10 minutes, without consulting her. She seems okay with it.
Our first day together was fun. She shares my love for ice cream and had 3 ! ! ! And she has already had one this morning and asked for more after lunch! ! ! I think we will need to get this under control some how.
Trying to communicate has proved VERY interesting, but we are making due. She spoke on the phone last night to our friend in USA, Yulia. I think they connected, because she asked to call her this morning. We had to explain that she will have to wait until tonight.
She took her first elevator ride yesterday. She cried this morning because she had to have blood drawn for tests.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad the news continues to be great! Enjoy your time with Katya. I pray God will bond the three of you and that He will continue to pave the way before you!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I missed your call! I tried calling back, but I can't make overseas calls on my cell phone. I'm so excited about having a little sister! I'm already thinking about having her over for sleepovers with Mariah. I hope you can tell her how excited we are about her being in our family. Much love, Lisa

Larry said...

Joshua is excited about the news. I should not have told him about the ice cream, now he wants some. We are keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers we love you guys and can hardly wait for ya'lls return with our new family member. If you see any of the other children from the orphanage tell them I said hello.