Monday, August 13, 2007

I don't know east from west it seems like ! ! !

In case anyone caught me on this, (contrary to my last post) I went west and Beverly and Katya went east.
This morning I went to the US Embassy to turn in the Imagrant Visa paperwork. I thought I would finally be on familiar territory there, but I found it to be somewhat of a foreign experience until the very last. I had to go through a security trailer (kinda like a airport screening). Once I went through that I found myself on the other side of the trailer in an area between the trailer and a building in front of me. There were no signs to direct me where to go. Oh, I forgot to mention the screener guy was Ukrianian and didn't speak English (if he did, it wasn't understandable) ! ! !
Once in the courtyard, I looked around and saw on my right a tent with people sitting in it. Lots of people ! ! ! I thought to myself, I hope I don't have to wait with all of them. I had an appointment, so I thought it wasn't the place I should go. I went back into the security trailer and fortunately there was a woman who just stepped in for a minute who, although Ukrainian, spoke English. She told me to go into the building and go down the hall to my right. Well, I ran into another security check point where I had to explain to a Ukrianian guard that I was there for an appointment. I showed him my Passport and he "buzzed" me in. Then I went to window 13 like the lady outside told me. The Ukrainian woman there said I had to go to the last window at the end of the hall for Imagrant Visas.
I know I sound like I have something against Ukrainians, but I DON'T !!!!!!!!!!!!! I just didn't expect to find so many in the US Embassy. After thinking about it, it makes sense to employ local citizens, and I didn't really experience any problems.
The lady that helped me at window 14 was very helpful and processed my paperwork quickly. The whole deal was over in 15 to 20 minutes. I was told that it will take Beverly and Katya about 1 hour (2 at the max).
I spoke to Beverly this morning and she and Karol Saner took the two kids to the beach today. I know Katya was happy. She loves the water ! ! ! (probably almost as much as ice cream)
I spend several hours today in an underground shopping mall in Kyiv. It looks a lot like a modern mall, except the corridors were smaller. I bought a couple DVD movies for Katya. It will be interesting to watch Superman and Spiderman in Russian ! ! !
I came back to the mall this evening to use the internet place here and grab some ice cream ! ! ! I think Katya's craving for ice cream has rekindled my love for it. I guess I'll have to go up to a size 33 paints ! ! !
Tomorrow I'l fly home Some I'm out for now

No comments: